Are you ready to take your professional development and business growth to the next level? Look no further than podcasts! In today’s fast-paced world, podcasts have become an increasingly popular and powerful tool for staying up-to-date with industry trends, learning new skills, and gaining valuable insights. In this post, I’ll explore how to make the most out of your podcast listening by turning it into a productive tool for personal, professional, and business growth. So put your headphones on and discover 5 things to do while listening to a podcast that can actually help you grow your business.
#1: Identify your goals
The first step is to identify your goals. What skills do you want to learn? What industry insights do you need? What trends do you want to stay up-to-date with? Once you have identified your goals, you can start searching for podcasts that align with them.
By identifying your goals, you can narrow down your podcast selection and ensure that you are listening to podcasts that will help you achieve your professional development and business growth goals.
#2: Find relevant podcasts
Once you have identified your goals, you can start searching for relevant podcasts. There are several ways to find podcasts you want, including:
- Asking for recommendations from colleagues or industry experts
- Searching on podcast platforms listed below
- Searching on social media using hashtags related to your goals or industry
Where to find podcasts to listen to.
- Apple Podcasts: Apple Podcasts is the most popular platform for listening to podcasts, and it comes pre-installed on all Apple devices. The platform has a massive library of podcasts, including both popular and niche shows, and features a user-friendly interface with easy-to-use search and recommendation features.
- Spotify: Spotify is a popular music streaming service that also offers a large library of podcasts. It has a personalized recommendation system based on your listening habits, and you can easily search for and follow your favorite podcasts.
- Google Podcasts: Google Podcasts is a free podcast app from Google that is available on Android devices and on the web. It has a simple and clean user interface with a powerful search function that allows you to find podcasts based on keywords or topics.
- Stitcher: Stitcher is a popular podcast platform that offers a wide range of shows across different genres. It features personalized recommendations based on your listening habits, and you can easily create custom playlists to organize your favorite shows.
- Pocket Casts: Pocket Casts is a popular podcast app that offers a user-friendly interface with powerful search and discovery features. It has a large library of shows across different genres and allows you to customize your listening experience by adjusting playback speed and creating custom playlists.
By finding relevant podcasts, you can start building a library of content that will help you achieve your professional development and business growth goals.
#3: Create a listening schedule
If you’re a podcast junkie like me, you know that listening to podcasts can be a great way to learn something new while doing something else. Whether you’re sipping on a latte at your favorite coffee shop, folding laundry, or doing a full workout, there’s always time to fit in a podcast, which is an excellent way to fill up your free time. So why not take it to the next level and create a listening schedule?
Here’s how to do it:
- Prioritize your podcasts: Make a list of your favorite podcasts and prioritize them based on your goals and the frequency of new episodes. Are you looking to learn a new skill, gain insights into your industry, or simply be entertained? Whatever your goals may be, choose the podcasts that will help you achieve them.
- Create a schedule: Once you’ve identified your top podcasts, create a listening schedule that fits with your daily routine. Maybe you’ll listen during your morning coffee, while walking the dog, or even during a relaxing bubble bath. Hey, I’m not judging! Just find a time that works for you.
- Use a podcast app: Managing all of your subscriptions can be overwhelming, but using a podcast app can help. Most apps have features that allow you to prioritize certain podcasts, automatically download new episodes, and track which episodes you’ve listened to.
- Be flexible: Life happens, and sometimes you may fall behind on your podcasts. That’s okay! Just be flexible and adjust your listening schedule as needed.
By creating a listening schedule, you can ensure that you’re consistently learning and staying up-to-date with industry trends. Plus, you’ll have an excuse to spend even more time with your favorite podcast hosts. Win-win!
#4: Take notes and apply what you learn
As you listen to podcasts, take notes on key insights, tips, and strategies. These notes will help you remember what you have learned and apply it in your professional life.
Here are some great note-taking apps to consider:
Evernote: Evernote is a popular note-taking app that allows you to capture and organize notes, web clippings, and documents across multiple devices. It has a powerful search function, integration with other apps, and the ability to add attachments to your notes.
OneNote: OneNote is a note-taking app from Microsoft that allows you to create and organize notes, drawings, and multimedia content. It has a user-friendly interface, supports collaboration with others, and has a wide range of features including handwriting recognition and audio recording.
Google Keep: Google Keep is a simple and straightforward note-taking app that allows you to create and organize notes, lists, and reminders. It has a user-friendly interface and is integrated with other Google services like Gmail and Google Drive.
Notion: Notion is a versatile productivity app that allows you to create and organize notes, tasks, and databases in one place. It has a user-friendly interface, supports collaboration with others, and can be customized to suit your needs.
Bear: Bear is a note-taking app designed for writers, with a focus on simplicity and elegance. It allows you to organize notes using hashtags, supports Markdown formatting, and has a range of export options.
Simplenote: Simplenote is a free note-taking app that allows you to create and organize notes across multiple devices. It has a clean and simple interface and supports collaboration with others.
Zoho Notebook: Zoho Notebook is a note-taking app that allows you to create and organize notes, checklists, and sketches. It has a user-friendly interface, supports collaboration with others, and has a range of customization options.
#5: Share what you learn
Finally, share what you learn with colleagues, friends, or on social media. This will help you solidify your understanding of the content and also provide value to others in your industry.
Don’t forget to share what you learn with your audience.
How to share: There are many different formats you can use to share what you learn from podcasts, including blog posts, social media updates, videos, podcasts, or webinars. Choose the format that works best for your audience and the type of content you want to share.
Take notes and highlight key insights: When listening to podcasts, take notes and highlight key insights that you can share with your audience. Use your notes to create a summary of the podcast or to highlight specific quotes or ideas that you found particularly interesting or valuable.
Add your own insights: Don’t simply regurgitate what you learned in the podcast. Instead, to the content you are sharing. Explain why you found the podcast valuable, how it relates to your industry, and how you plan to apply what you learned.
Provide context: When sharing what you learned, provide context and background information to help your audience better understand the topic. This might include explaining industry jargon or providing examples that illustrate the key points.
Engage your audience: Finally, engage your audience in the conversation. Encourage them to share their own thoughts and opinions on the topic and invite them to ask questions or provide feedback. This can help to build engagement and create a sense of community around the content you are sharing.
By sharing what you learn, you can build your professional network and establish yourself as a thought leader in your industry.
Podcasts that Are Perfect for Business Growth
How I Built This: How I Built This is a podcast from NPR that tells the stories of successful entrepreneurs and the businesses they built. The show provides insights into the challenges and triumphs of building a successful business.
- The Authority Creators Podcast: The Authority Creators podcast helps purpose-driven entrepreneurs to become known as the “Go-To” Expert in their niche or industry. Guests share heartfelt conversations about the challenges they face as they pursue their dreams and celebrate the awesomeness of entrepreneurship. Get your weekly dose of business inspiration, strategy, and meet some of the most intriguing entrepreneurs around.
- UN-Market Your Business Podcast: The UN-Market Your Business podcast teaches entrepreneurs how to effectively market their business in this new, digital economy and decided to do something about it. You’ll learn tested, tried-and-true marketing techniques you can apply and master; ones that feel authentic instead of salesy; strategies that are true to who you are.
- Women Faith + Business Podcast: The mission of the Women Faith + Business Podcast is to showcase the stories of women of faith in business who are not only using their businesses to make a difference in the world but are using their business platforms to glorify God. Hear about the ups, downs, and in-betweens of their business journeys and faith journeys.
- Online Marketing Made Easy: Online Marketing Made Easy is a podcast by marketing expert Amy Porterfield. The show provides insights and strategies for building an online business and marketing it effectively.
- The GaryVee Audio Experience: The GaryVee Audio Experience is a podcast by entrepreneur and social media expert Gary Vaynerchuk. The show provides insights into entrepreneurship, social media, and marketing.
- The Productivity Show: The Productivity Show is a podcast that provides tips and strategies for improving productivity and time management. The show is perfect for business owners and entrepreneurs looking to optimize their workflow and get more done in less time.
These are just a few of the many podcasts that can help business owners and entrepreneurs grow their businesses. Choose the ones that resonate with your interests and goals and start listening today.
In conclusion, I hope you’re as excited as I am about the potential of using podcasts to take your business to the next level! With a little bit of planning, organization, and a whole lot of listening, you can turn your podcast sessions into productive and entertaining learning experiences that will help you achieve your professional goals and grow your business. So what are you waiting for? Grab your headphones, queue up your favorite podcast, and get ready to become a podcast master. And remember, with great podcast power comes great podcast responsibility. Happy listening (and learning)!